Alice in Wonderland was unexpectedly good. But maybe that's because I have never really understood or enjoyed the storybook itself. The movie though was filled with whimsical portrayal of all the characters. The hilarious big headed red queen, the white queen who practically drifts everywhere, the locust- looking red guards, the mad hatter, the array of talking animals and so on..
I am particularly fond of the scene when Alice musters her courage to face the jabberwocky. Believe in 6 impossible things before breakfast...
Did a google search and I think this was how it was actually used in the book:
“There is no use trying; one can't believe impossible things." (Alice)
"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"Twinkle twinkle, little bat / How I wonder what you're at? / Up above the world you fly / Like a tea tray in the sky."
"I quite agree with you," said the Duchess; "and the moral of that is--'Be what you would seem to be'--or if you'd like it put more simply--'Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.'"
I am particularly fond of the scene when Alice musters her courage to face the jabberwocky. Believe in 6 impossible things before breakfast...
Did a google search and I think this was how it was actually used in the book:
“There is no use trying; one can't believe impossible things." (Alice)
"I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” -Queen
I am not one who ponder over stories in movies and books and come up with some philosophical interpretation that links the story to our lives or anything like that. I prefer to take movies and books for its entertainment value. Life is complicated enough to complicate it further with fictional stories. Well, at least that's what I feel most of the time.
But this time round, the quote "Believe in 6 impossible things" struck a chord in me. Going to open houses, filling up application forms and writing personal statements.. At this point of time, I have no idea where I am heading towards, what my life is going to be...sometimes I feel like I am closing doors for myself just because I don't think I am able to do it. Perhaps it is the fear of failing or the thought that people will think that i am not capable enough that stops me. Hahaha having doubts is the killer to all dreams and goals.. so maybe it is time I stop doing that... just try and see where it takes me.. 6 impossible things (:
anyway while googling that, I came across some other nice quotes from the book, so I will end off with them. Not all are meaningful, some are just funny, others mind boggling haha.
“Which road do I take?" (Alice)
"Where do you want to go?"
"I don't know," Alice answered."
Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.”“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” (Cheshire Cat)
"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do, " Alice hastily replied; "at least I mean what I say, that's the same thing, you know."
"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see!"
"Twinkle twinkle, little bat / How I wonder what you're at? / Up above the world you fly / Like a tea tray in the sky."
"I quite agree with you," said the Duchess; "and the moral of that is--'Be what you would seem to be'--or if you'd like it put more simply--'Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.'"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home